First Team 26/09/2017

Richarlison | “I Really Wanted To Celebrate With Them”

There are few things in football as satisfying as a last-minute winner, but scoring the decisive goal at Swansea was made even sweeter for Richarlison by the fact he was able to celebrate in front of the thrilled travelling Watford fans.

Reflecting on the goal with after full-time, the Brazilian said: “Deeney pressed very hard and he managed to get the ball.

“I ran for it and believed I could get it, and when I saw the keeper coming out I thought immediately of shooting.

“That’s what I did and luckily it hit the crossbar and went in. Then I managed to celebrate with all my teammates.

“I’m extremely happy because the supporters sing my name and they came very far to watch this match, so I really wanted to celebrate my goal with them and my teammates.”

Richarlison’s 90th-minute strike made it three wins from three on the road for the Hornets, and the ex-Fluminense forward felt Watford were good value for their three points at the Liberty Stadium.

“First of all, I’m very happy for the goal, but most of all for the three points,” he said.

“The team played very well, especially in the midfield. Now we have to continue working hard and keep going like we’re doing.

“It was two different halves. We played better in the first-half, Swansea better in the second, but to be honest I think the result was fair.

“Thanks to God, we managed to score at the end and we got the three points.”

Watch the post-match interview with Richarlison above for free, no sign-up required.

Off and Away!

Richarlison’s shirt is off – and so is the cost of name & number printing on away shirts purchased between now and kick-off this Saturday (Sep 30, 3pm) in-store at The Hornets Shop or online at

All purchasers will also be entered into a prize draw to win the signed shirt worn by Andre Gray, who scored his first Watford goal at Swansea.


Ladies | Millwall 3-1 Watford

Watford Ladies were defeated 3-1 away at Millwall Lionesses in their opening game of the 2017/18 WSL 2 season on Sunday. 

The new campaign couldn’t have got off to a much better start for the Hornets, who took the lead after only five minutes through Simona Petkova. However, Millwall turned the game around before the break, with goals from Billie Brooks and Leanne Cowan putting the hosts 2-1 up at the interval.

The scoring was completed when Ella Rutherford put her side two goals to the good with 59 minutes played. It could have been more but for a great penalty save from Jo Fletcher.

The starting line-up saw four of the Ladies' new signings make their competitive debuts for the club. Sarah Jones, Ellie Sargent, Laura-May Walkley and Bianca Bragg those featuring for the first time. 

It was an ideal start for Watford, taking the lead in the fifth minute. Bragg made an immediate impact, playing the ball across for Petkova to finish past Sarah Quantrill from close range.

A sloppy pass in the defensive third nearly allowed the Lionesses to hit back immediately, however Rutherford’s powerful strike from the edge of the area just went past the post.

Merrick Will was presented with a difficult chance to double the Golden Girls' lead, she turned and got good contact on the volley but couldn’t direct it on target.

The hosts managed to level the scores through a set-piece. Ashlee Hincks’ corner was delivered towards the back post and Brooks headed it home to make it all square.

Both sides had good chances to get their second of the game just after the half hour mark. Charlie Devlin’s first time shot was sliced wide, while Will couldn’t get her header on target having being picked out by Sargent.

With only a few minutes remaining of the first half, Millwall took the lead. The Watford players appealed for offside but the flag stayed down, Cowan taking full advantage of the opportunity, showing great composure to slot it past Jo Fletcher into the bottom left hand corner.

To the second half and Fletcher was called into action early on, producing a good save to push Devlin’s 25-yard effort around the post.

Just before the hour, Millwall extended their advantage. Ellie Mason’s powerful strike cannoned back off the crossbar and into the path of Rutherford, who guided the ball into an empty net.

It could have been 4-1 when Megan Wynne was fouled in the box. Rianna Dean stepped up to take the penalty but Fletcher produced a superb save to deny her and then got up quickly to smother the ball.

An important save almost ended up having double the impact. Under a minute later play was down the other end with Rinsola Babajide in space, who fired an effort against the post from a tough angle.

Babajide created another opening for herself with a quarter of an hour to play, after coming inside she got her effort on target but Quantrill gathered it well.

The task for Watford to get back into it was made harder when the referee sent Walkley off after a second yellow with just under 10 minutes to play.

No miraculous comeback materialised as Watford fell to defeat in a disappointing start to the new season.

GOLDEN GIRLS | Fletcher, Sargent, Maple (Fatuga-Dada, 70), Jones, McKeag, Nuttall, Walkley, Bragg (Albert, 57), Petkova (Kerr, 57), Babajide, Will. 

Subs not used: Kitching, Neal, McCarthy

Goal: Petkova (5)

Yellow cards: McKeag (55), Walkley (71)

Red card: Walkley (81 - Second yellow)

Attendance: 393

(Photo by AW Images)