Huddersfield Town




Watford stretched their unbeaten run to five matches as they played out a goalless draw against Huddersfield Town at the John Smith's Stadium.

A lack of clear-cut chances in the opening half made for a quiet and patient start, with the travelling Hornets maintaining much of the ball. In terms of efforts on goal, Edo Kayembe’s curled strike in the latter stages of the first period was the closest the side in yellow came to breaking the deadlock.

Following the restart, both teams struggled to create any meaningful chances in what was an unremarkable first 15 minutes. With the Watford boss looking to change the pace of the contest, Valérien Ismaël turned to his substitute bench but to no avail as, despite an improvement in quality as the clock ticked on, neither side were able to break the deadlock.

Watford will now turn their attention to a clash at home against Rotherham United (Saturday November 11, 3pm KO) as they look to extend their undefeated run.

Hornets Head Coach Ismaël made one change to the XI that started the 2-2 draw at home to Millwall last time out (October 28), with Giorgi Chakvetadze coming into midfield in place of Ismaël Koné for the Georgian’s second start in yellow.

With the game designated as Huddersfield's annual Remembrance Match, both sides gathered around the centre circle before kick-off to observe a period of silence.

Going in search of back-to-back away victories for the first time this campaign, the Hornets made a bright start to proceedings with Chakvetadze and co. looking to open up the Terriers.

And after the early stages, a patient first 25 minutes followed with Watford in comfortable possession for most of the period, with the occasional Jake Livermore or Francisco Sierralta tackle regaining the ball for the away side.

Despite that, the first strike on target came from Huddersfield’s Ben Jackson, cutting inside from the right-flank, aiming for the far corner, but it was a straightforward stop for captain Daniel Bachmann – soon trailed by another strike, this time from Sorba Thomas.

Ken Sema looked positive as he went in search of the opener after suffering a blow to his face early on. The Swedish international raced to the byline just after the half-hour mark and looked to cut an opportunity back to Vakoun Bayo, with the Ivorian diverting it wide of the mark.

As the clock edged closer to the interval, Edo Kayembe’s curled effort troubled the Terriers’ shot-stopper Lee Nicholls from the edge of the area, although the strike wasn’t able to beat the 31-year-old, as both sides headed into the tunnel level at the break.

With no changes made during half-time, the match returned to a familiar flow as Watford looked to pick away at Huddersfield’s defensive line.

It would be 15 minutes before either side created anything of note, as the Hornets had another effort on goal through Bayo after some neat work from Sema, but it was blocked by an outstretched Huddersfield defender.

Watford were slowly taking control as Jamal Lewis also had his effort rebuffed, and in response, Ismaël turned to his bench as he looked to inject some much-needed intensity into the match with Ryan Andrews, Koné and Mileta Rajović all coming into the fray.

The Golden Boys had to remain alert in defence as the centre-back duo of Sierralta and Wesley Hoedt stood firm under pressure, however down the other end the forwards were unable to create any real goalscoring opportunities, with the second-tier contest ultimately ending goalless.


Team Stats

Player Stats

Next Game